Life Sciences Tab
Centre for R&D in Life Sciences
To promote research activities and its applications, an exclusive R&D facility named as Dr. C.D. Sagar Centre for Life Sciences created which is spread over an area of 10,000 sq. ft. in its campus. The infra structural facilities includes the following:
- Molecular Biology
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
- Rational Drug Design.
High end Equipment’s
- Gradient Palm Cycler
- HPLC, RT PCR
- Inverted Microscope
- UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Refrigerated Incubator Shaker
- Gel Documentation System
- Ultra-Cool Centrifuge
- Nano Drop
- Walk in Cold Chamber
- Gas Chromatography
- Laminar Air Flow Cabinets
- FTIR, Fermenter etc.
The Faculty drawn from the Departments of Biosciences and Biotechnology Engineering consists of 12 Ph.D. degree holders with excellent academic record and experience in working in overseas laboratories. The Faculty are guiding students for Ph.D. Programmes and in-house research projects.
Major Areas of Research Focus
- Plant Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture.
- Micro propagation technology development for commercially valuable crops (Banana, Ornamentals, Bamboo and Medicinal Plants).
- Crop Biotechnology: Genetic Modification of crops with value added traits for increasing crop productivity (Legumes and Rice).
- Bio prospecting of medicinal plants: Molecular characterization of elite populations for conservation and product development.
- Bio informatics and Rational Drug Design – In silico approaches for Design and Discovery of novel therapeutic drugs.
- Food and Environmental Biotechnology
- Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics - To identify specific genes/pathways that are activated or repressed in patients with gliomas (brain tumor).
- Bio fules - Production of Algal Biodiesel using cost effective photo bio reactor.
- Isolation & characterization of Bioactive compounds from selective Medicinal plants for anti-obesity, anti-cancer, irritable bowl disorders (IBD) and Parkinson’s disorders.
Commercial Plant Tissue Culture Facility (PTCF)
The Commercial Plant Tissue Culture Facility has a production capacity of 1 million plants per annum and consists of the following :
- Media Kitchen
- 8 Laminar Air Flow Cabinets
- 3 Large Growth Incubation Rooms
- Team of qualified, trained scientists with domain knowledge
- Temperature controlled Green House with shading and misting for hardening of tissue culture plants.
The major focus of the PTCF is the following:
- To develop methods for large scale production of plants of commercial value
- Acclimatization of tissue culture derived plants in Greenhouse
- To distribute the plants to the end user viz., farmers/nursery men.
Micro propagation of Banana
The main focus of work has been to provide uniform, disease-free, high quality planting material to the farmers through mass micro propagation of elite, high yielding clones.
Micro propagation of Horticultural Crops
Several high value horticultural plants are being investigated and technology for mass multiplication of Syngonium, Spathyphyllum and Philodendron has been developed for end user applications.
Bio prospecting of Medicinal Plants
Identification of elite genotypes of medicinal plants through molecular and chemoprofiling of germplasm establishment of clonal nursery and biotechnological approaches for enhancing bioactive compounds.
Technology development for large scale multiplication of selected bamboo species for developing high quality planting stock for plantations.
Crop Biotechnology Programs
The focus in Crop biotechnology is on Legumes and Rice with a view to develop
- Pod borer resistant lines in case of Chickpea and Pigeon pea.
- Yellow mosaic virus tolerant Mung bean varieties, and
- Rice varieties with higher degree of tolerance to drought and salinity.
Bio informatics and Rational Drug Design
Major focus areas include:
- Molecular modeling and simulation studies of various drug targets
- In silico screening of novel therapeutic agents from various sources
- Molecular docking and structure based drug design
- Discovery of pharmacophore patterns of drug molecules
- Study of ADMET profiles of potential inhibitors
Food and Environmental Biotechnology
- Studies on the anti – microbial properties of microwaves on food pathogens
- Bio remediation of heavy metals using selected fungi
Cancer Genetics & Epigenetics
- To identify and characterize genes involved in the development and progression of human cancers
- To translate the basic research outcomes into clinical research that will eventually improve detection, diagnosis, prognosis, prevention and treatment of human cancers, in particular Gliomas (Brain tumor).
Bio diesel from Algae
Production of algal biodiesel from Scemedesmus dimorphus using cost effective photo bio reactor.